fish care

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

fish care

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:48 pm

on my daily walk round bovington two today i happened across a carp out of the water :shock: it was on a unhooking mat but there was no angler in sight, a angler turned up and had no idea how to treat the fish .
it was flapping around like mad and came off the mat the angler concerned had a little chuckle and tried to make a joke of his apparent lack of skill :evil:
he was fishing the first swim on the left hand side of the lake the swim with the little bay of reeds

disgusted

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:53 pm

But it was a carp. You see he had to phone his mate and get him to help fold it up in a weigh sling then take some pictures, talk about the matching kit he used to catch it then put the kettle on, oh and I almost forgot, return the fish. Did you have to step over the crate of beer he had to get close or was the armchair in your way? Carpers, don't you love 'em? Cue outraged crapers (intentional spelling) defending their 'sport'.

Postby Ekins » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:21 pm

shut up who ever you are not all carp angerlers are like that :twisted:
Ekins
Barbel
Barbel

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:06 pm

At least use the word please when telling me not to voice my opinion. :roll:

Show me a lake where the carpers don't shout across to each other, don't cast 3oz leads into other anglers swims, don't use mobile phones to tell their mate 20 swims away that they have had a run, don't have matching gear and I will eat my hat.

Perhaps if I fished the same swim for a year I would catch a carp called Bernard and get in the press. I love it when the same carp gets caught and its mouth gets redder by the picture, couldn't give the anti's any better ammo could you?

Postby John » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Come on guest, although this example you bring to our attention is worrying, I assure you all of the carpers I've met on CAPS waters are exemplary in their fish handling and behaviour. There will always be a minority spoiling it for the majority in almost everything, but what can you do?
John Robertson
John
Carp
Carp

Postby madaboutsilurus » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:36 pm

Me thinks the guest is on a wind up, if not then sign in and show your status in the CAPS membership. If you have any evidence of this sort of behaviour then may be it is about time you started to educate by being open with your observations. If this is your true opinion then you are complicit in neglecting the fish by your silence.

I would have to take the novice under my wing and help him know that that sort of behaviour is unnaceptable, if it continued I would use my right as a caps member to see his membership and report him to the club.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dave » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:39 pm

nicely done mad let us educate this angler by the way most of us treat our catch
http://www.roughtempo.com/live.html tuesday nite 6 - 8 doughboy dnb show and me 10pm till 12pm sunday night
dave
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby speedy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:50 pm

ok mate you have made your point :!: ,

Not every carper/macthman/pleasure or even noddy anglers behave like this it is the few that spoil it for the rest :twisted:

everyone makes mistakes fella, if you carry a caps card you have the right to enquire for his name and membership number?? which you could then pass on to the bailiff.

and as for this???

Show me a lake where the carpers don't shout across to each other, don't cast 3oz leads into other anglers swims, don't use mobile phones to tell their mate 20 swims away that they have had a run, don't have matching gear and I will eat my hat.

??????????????????

I love it when the same carp gets caught and its mouth gets redder by the picture.

and this is just utter crap mate, if you knew anything about the problems with the ANTI'S maybe you should think abit more before you write all this S*** on our site (n)
speedy
Eel
Eel

Postby Dave Davies » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:03 pm

I thought for a minute our guest was going to tell us that the "captor" was on another lake...

It's that deja vu all over again.
Dave Davies
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Fcuked Off » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:42 am

Nice one Mad, I am not sure that there is a lot more to add, other than what has already been said. If it is true then you should have acted in an appropriate manner and administered some help, regardless of there fishing skill.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby suffolkboy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:48 am

not being funny but i have seen match men treat fish a darn sight worse than any carp angler i have seen. for goodness sake i have seen people ripping the lips of roach and bream (not on caps) and chucking them back, yes chucking!!!!

i think you will find that carp anglers are some of the most caring anglers in the world. have you seen the likes of rex hunt who pronounces that he kisses the fish as he wants to convey a kinda care for the fish and then THROWS them back!!

i think it is sad that some people feel the need to write these posts without having the full knowledge and understanding of the majority of anglers and not have the gumption to stand up and say something whern someone is doing something wrong!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.
suffolkboy
Pike
Pike

Postby ConTenDeR » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:03 pm

U will find anglers like this on all waters. Fishing is an attractive sport/hobbie which we all would agree on or we wouldnt be here.
Theres just the small problem with anyone doing any new sport which is they dont have experience. At least he had a mat and wasnt letting it jump around the bank to further injur itself!

Ive never seen anyone on the CAPS waters behave in the way u describe with any caught fish.
ConTenDeR
Chub
Chub

Postby josh white » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:49 pm

any angler shoud be able to carm a fish ifyou dont you are not a real angler just put your finger in its mouth and if you cover the eyes and if he is muck in about to much put it back in the lake or river the fishes saftey the most inportant part of fishing 8)
the big girls mine
josh white
Tench
Tench

Postby ConTenDeR » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:15 pm

Not all new anglers know to cover their eyes.

Wouldnt say ur a real angler if u can calm a fish though. Think theres a lot more deciding factors in my opinion.
ConTenDeR
Chub
Chub

Postby Shimano_addict » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:44 pm

Like somebody said earlier, You cant be an expert as soon as you start something new
Shimano_addict
Tench
Tench

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:07 am

i'd like to see you calm a pike by putting your finger in its mouth. there are different tricks to help with different fish. you would not get much joy out of covering a cats eyes ever so its really useful that they normally are docile on the bank. that is not a hard and fast rule though so it is always worth going with someone with experience and observe then give it a go while they are there.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dave whittaker » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:55 am

once again wise words from the one who smells of flange :shock:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Fcuked Off » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:17 am

Sadly it boils down to only knowing how to care for certain fish species, yes carp, tench and bream can be calmed down using the above methods, then what else have they ever caught ????????
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:58 pm

i find that tench and carp can be calmed using finger in their mouth or cover their eyes but found that crushing pads of a cat works best for bream
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Fcuked Off » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:19 pm

You are one funny dude Mad :!: :!: :!: :!:

Had to laugh at that one :lol: :lol:
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:33 pm

i had to tone it down as i was going to say a rod rest through the gills works best for bream
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Ekins » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:48 pm

eels are easy to calm down just put them on there back then they dont move.
a little trick i found out while unhooking my 4 pounder a few weeks ago :lol:
Ekins
Barbel
Barbel

Postby Shimano_addict » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:03 pm

well i dont know about anyone else but i would think putting an eel on its back was quite hard :?
Shimano_addict
Tench
Tench

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:09 pm

with hands the size of yours you should be able to land one on its chin with enouh force to put it on its back.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Ekins » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:02 pm

it is easy trust me
Ekins
Barbel
Barbel

Return to Questions