One for the rulemaster

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

One for the rulemaster

Postby Hooperboy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:40 pm

Are members allowed to use boats on any of the CAPS lakes. (I am talking for exploration purposes, not bait boats or even fishing from)

Cheers
Come on the Carp!!!
Hooperboy
Chub
Chub

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:09 pm

Rule 7 C - No boats of any type are to be used on society waters other than those used by official working parties ( special safety restrictions apply ).

Sorry....
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Hooperboy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:18 pm

Thanks Kevan,

I was almost sure that was the case but I wanted to be sure!!
Come on the Carp!!!
Hooperboy
Chub
Chub

Postby $hm4!!ey » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:23 pm

can i ask why we are not allowed to use bait boats :?
$hm4!!ey

Postby specimenhunter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:30 pm

:lol: cos rules say we are not allowed :!:

however i would like to know why we cant could be interesting :wink:
if a woman says "you love fishing more than me" .............. just AGREE!

Disclaimer

Not trying to argue just VOICING MY OPINION, no offence meant and was not trying to be malicious in anyway!
specimenhunter
Catfish
Catfish

Postby rangemaster » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:03 pm

why would you need bait boats?we dont have any big enough waters to worry about them!
I joined the darkside and i wont ever look back
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Postby specimenhunter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:07 pm

i dont think distance matters for instance there are on a few lakes nice spots a pile of bait tight together could work wonders also its quieter than spodding and in my view safer

maybe kim or someone could tell us the reasons why theres got to be more to it than lakes not big enough :!:
if a woman says "you love fishing more than me" .............. just AGREE!

Disclaimer

Not trying to argue just VOICING MY OPINION, no offence meant and was not trying to be malicious in anyway!
specimenhunter
Catfish
Catfish

Postby SamB » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Perfect presentation
25lb Prestons common, about time.
SamB
Catfish
Catfish

Postby webmaster » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:12 pm

Bait boats have been banned for many years, one of the reasons being that years ago the only carp water that contained significant numbers of carp was Layer pit and if everyone used boats it would be like a boating lake.
However, as I have recently pointed out the rules are made by the members, if you want bait boats make a proposal for the agm and let the members decide.
Regards

The Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rangemaster » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:42 pm

not many people want to see titanics filled with boiles floating across the lakes either and it could cause all sorts of hassel.

i much rather cast my rods and work for results than have a mini robot boat place my rig for me anless its in france where you go to catch a couple of bigguns and you have to fish 200-300yrds out for runs.
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Baitboats

Postby Dan Jarman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:22 am

Baitboats in my opinion are for noddies with a bit of cash but a poor cast. it is for people who want results but cant be assed to work for them. Thjere may be some (and these are very few) where a bait boats could be justified for some long distance work but basically they are for lazy people or just blantantly rubbish casters. i personally would be strongly opposed to them being used on any caps water as they would be unjustified. peoplke would not use them with the respect they need and we would have fish tethered up all over the place because mr noddy has decided to place a bait six inches from a snag....great...yet another example of good angling...well done.
Sorry, you almost lost me there, i was trying to think of a reason why anyone would want to use a baitboat on a caps water and after some thought the only reason i can still give is that the individual cannot cast.
this is my view and im sticking to it.
Having said all this using a boat to look at lakes for exploritory purposes i find totally acceptable. There should, if it could be managed properly, especially on lakes like bov2 and snake and one or two hour period in a forghtnight that people could bring a boat down and have a sniff around, people could stil fish in this period and im sure people would (or could if forced) be sensible.
Dan Jarman
Chub
Chub

Postby Fcuked Off » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:31 am

The trouble with using a boat for exploritory activities would have an impact on the club personal imdemnity insurance I am sure. At present I think we are covered when it is an organised working party, but we would not be if anybody could bring a boat and explore.

Then there is the issue of making sure of life belts, flares etc. just to cover yourself on your own accident cover. This in my opinion is a no go area.

What is wrong with the old fashioned way of plumbing to depth to create a visual map of the lake ?????, far safer and a damn sight less expensive to all parties.

Bait boats as well, we do not need to go there, again in my opinion, but as Kim suggested if you want it make a proposal for the AGM. This has to be in writing and presented to the officers / committee for the November meeting.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby The Laird » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:14 am

The clubs insurers catagorically refused to cover members using boats except on official work parties and then numerous restrictions were placed including lifejackets, ability to swim, numbers required, etc etc so that will always be a no no as far as I can see.
As for the bait boats I wouldnt think there would be much support for them.
Cheers

Laird Kim of Lochaber

Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)
Shop hours 9am-5pm - Closed All Day Wednesday & Sunday
The Laird
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Location: Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)

Postby madaboutsilurus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:51 pm

As for Dan Jarmens comments. so you have never used one then, shut up until you know what you are talking about.

bait boats can be an asset when used properly. Particularly as bream and perch don't fare well when cast more that 30 or so yards they were just not designed properly for casting. Therefore dragging a bait out and releasing it could be great. Even better of course is drag a bait all round the lake at different depths until it gets snatched from the weak link. I love the idea of that on houchings.

I would love to be allowed on Houchins drifting around in a boat clonking for a day to get the thrill of being dragged about when i hooked a cat.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Dan Jarman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:24 pm

hmmmm.....i find your corrents rather amusing...a bait boat on Houchins!!! this is the reason why they should not be allowed on caps waters, i have visions of baitboats doing laps of houchins with a bunch of noddies with little to no angling ability making the biggest line birdsnest in the middle of the lake in history.
So if i ever walk round houchins and there is a bloke sitting on the edge with water wings on and water skis stuck on his feet i will know its you waiting to get 'pulled round the lake'.
As for the casting a fish issue, there could be benefit as casting a deadbait (well i hope its a deadbait you did not specify) out could be made easier with a boat. But again if you can only cast a deadbait 30 yards you might like to amend your technique (unless of course its a three pound bream). :D
have you also heard about the new electrostunning device you can put on the back of a baitboat and the detachable trolling net to ensure you can stun and empty the lake in one swoop??
Dan Jarman
Chub
Chub

Postby SamB » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:37 pm

I don't see why eveyone who has a bait boat is a noddie.
I know u might think it is for the lazy man but if there is a tool avliable like a bait boat why don't we expose the pluses from it. Of coure there are negatives to a bait boat. But why does it matter we are currently not allowed to use them so it doesn't matter.
25lb Prestons common, about time.
SamB
Catfish
Catfish

Postby John » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:10 pm

I'm a noddie :lol:
John Robertson
John
Carp
Carp

Postby rangemaster » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:53 pm

and dont we know it john :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Postby madaboutsilurus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:03 pm

i didn't specify whether it was a deadbait of a live bait because i thought it went without saying. IT IS A LIVE BAIT YOU WALLY. THATS WHY THEY DON'T FAIR WELL AS THEY ARE NOT USED TO FLYING.

Asfor the comments about loads of noddies then you clearly have not seen a boat being used to full advantage.

As for skis on my feet i dont need them with size 13 shoes
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Camping Shop » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:25 am

sorry gotta agree with dan on this one . bait boats have no place on caps waters ... and on houch where u can underarm cast most off the lake really dont think its needed
tea white with one thanks
Camping Shop
Perch
Perch

Postby suffolkboy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:22 pm

i have never been a fan of bait boats simply for the reason that i cannot afford one.

i think they can lend themselves to be very usefull at getting accurate baiting and tight under overhangs. i would love to see anyone cast ticght under a tree. how many attempts would you need to get accurate as a boat? seven or eight - no fish in the area then.

boats can be very helpfull when used correctly and responsibly, to think all a bait boat is is a spod with a jet. why is it so different? and why do people have such a problem with them.

the one and only reason that i would not like to see bait boats on caps waters is that i believe that they would cause conflicts between anglers when used iresponsilby.
leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.
suffolkboy
Pike
Pike

Postby The Laird » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:55 pm

Areas under bushes and overhanging trees are normally virtually impossible to cast to and as such are a sanctuary for the fish. With the amount of presure they get surely they deserve somewhere to lay up without traps all around them.
Cheers

Laird Kim of Lochaber

Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)
Shop hours 9am-5pm - Closed All Day Wednesday & Sunday
The Laird
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Location: Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)

Postby madaboutsilurus » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:45 pm

depends whether they ever come out though Kim doesn't it. I do understand that there is no point getting them to take a bait if they are just going to plough through the trees and get damaged in the fight but if they are taken from the right angle with a clear chance of getting them away I am all in favour of it.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby suffolkboy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:23 am

you make it sound like the fish are hard done by, i think that they are damn lucky that we fish for them. i know that i for one give the fish that i fish for a decent quality bait and lots of it, and the number of times they get caught is minimal :roll: in comparison to what they get from us.
leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.
suffolkboy
Pike
Pike

Return to Questions