River Colne at Fordham

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

River Colne at Fordham

Postby Alan Goodrum » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:25 pm

How long do bullocks stay with the cows in the field ?

( they are about half cow size with 2'' horns - so assume they are bullocks ?)

Any recommendations on how to act when charged by a group of about 10, when teaching one's 9 year son old the benfits of river fishing.

At what point do you tell if they are playful or mean business ?

Yours with boots full of water

Alan

P.s. We went to the Wid instead for specimen gudgeon.
the north sea - a lovely big empty lake
Alan Goodrum
Crucian
Crucian

Postby Fcuked Off » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:13 pm

Ah, they are still there then Alan :lol: :lol: .

Many eons ago when I first fished there I had the full kit with me, rod bag, seat box, carryall etc. When I walked down to my choosen peg there were no animals present in the field however on the way back there were a few errr large cows which decided to follow me, anyway, after going from a slow walk to a brisker one these beasts were still there. Not wanting to be confrontational a jog came from me, the response was a full blown run by the beasts, OHHHHHHHHHHH sssssssshhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiitttttttttttt, 100 yards in 5 seconds later and a jump over the fence to safety, phew.

Only been back once since and I swear that a bull knew me :wink: .

Anyway, my advice is get the hell out of there as quick as possible, might be wrong but that's what I do.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Alan Goodrum » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:23 pm

My response also Kev, but left it a little late, and while I might have made it, not sure about No 1 son. My wife would definately restrict my fishing if I returned with a wet or damaged son.

Currently pester power is getting the pair of us fishing as much as we want.

So I gathered up my son and took a stroll in the river, in boots, so it was a bit cool and very wet.

My son, loved it, much excitement.

We'll be back.

Alan
the north sea - a lovely big empty lake
Alan Goodrum
Crucian
Crucian

Postby Fcuked Off » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:04 pm

That seems like the correct course of action Alan, at least you can blame being wet on falling in, that would be a bit harder to push through should it have been no. 1 son.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Things to do

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:04 am

Alan Goodrum wrote: My wife would definately restrict my fishing if I returned with a wet or damaged son.

I gotta run right now, but I will definatly look into it later - Hold that thought!

Postby A. Northener » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:32 pm

Make yourself big by waving your hands above your head and make a lot of noise. Should make them hesitate when charging.

Also get your hand on a length of thin plastic piping its great for giving them a smack on the nose to get them to <font color=red><b>censored</b></font> off.

Cows are naturaly curious and will follow you younguns will try and 'play' and this can be the agressive bit. There all cowards really.

However if theya re real young uns with em then stay well clear. I gotta mate from up north who is now confined to a wheel chair having made that mistake.....He still fishes tho.
A. Northener
Crucian
Crucian

Return to Questions