Fluorocarbon Hook links

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

Fluorocarbon Hook links

Postby Steve H » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone on here has much experience with Fluorocarbon as a hook link material or if you would reccomend one? I've heard good and bad things about the stuff and the different brands. Any help would be appreciated.
Steve H.

P.S I'll be using it mainly for carp rigs and a spot of Barbel fishing.
Steve H
Eel
Eel

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:26 pm

I've used a couple of really crap ones that I won't name, but have found the ESP one to be very good.
A worm on one end and a fool on the other. Probably in the rain, possibly inebriated and invariably fish-less.
Dave B
Catfish
Catfish

Postby SamB » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Korda iq xtra soft is good. Probly better for barbel as you can get it in 10lb
Gardener subderfudge is good that is what i use.
25lb Prestons common, about time.
SamB
Catfish
Catfish

Postby El Tel » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:04 pm

Like Dave B I have favoured ESP Ghost over other brands :) but check out line diameter on the heavier breaking strains though (eg 15lb bs) as some brands are quite thick and when tying a hair it might not fit back through the hook eye :( . In winter I like the idea of Floro carbons as the water can be so clear you need confidence that your rig is not obvious when fishing margins / shallow areas 8) .
Last edited by El Tel on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Tel
The difference between the Pope and your boss,
the Pope only expects you to kiss his ring.
El Tel
Barbel
Barbel

Postby SamB » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:40 pm

Any area's any time of the year fluro carbon works a treat.
Invisible to the fish, all you need is the fluro hooklink and a small pva bag and you have a completly camod rig, par the lead leadcore line ect.
25lb Prestons common, about time.
SamB
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Dave Davies » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Steve, I keep telling you that you should read the Angling Times.

Last weeks issue carried a story on a report produced in the USA by the Director of Fish Research at Pure Fishing, the company that produce, amomg other things, Berkley and Stren lines.

One of the results of the study is the fact that carp have better colour vision than humans, and can also see at the infrared and ultraviolet ends of the spectrum. This means that the apparently "invisible" fluorocarbon is as visible to carp as anything else.

Barbel, of course, are so stupid that any rig will do, particularly in the Stour where there are so few that it doesn't matter what you chuck out as you won't catch one!
Dave Davies
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dexon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Steve

If you looking at low diameter line have a look at what the carp match anglers use
dexon
Chub
Chub

Postby madaboutsilurus » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:15 pm

something else for the equation s that flouro is renonwned for being alot less than than the breaking strain. mainly because the friction levels when tying the knot means that it is a lot lower han the stated strain.

i would like to say that nash bullet braid is better but it is S***.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby TomB » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:51 pm

Over hyped, fragile and expensive :shock:
TomB
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Postby suffolkboy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:15 am

so if this report was done by the guy from berkley, dont they do flurocarbon leaders? doesnt flurocarbon go against everything he is saying? :? :?:
leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.
suffolkboy
Pike
Pike

Postby madaboutsilurus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:34 pm

have a look at the hype that goes with x-line. it supposed to be the all singing all dancing dissapearing line. i kept it on for one session and binned it. I also took some of it to tackle box to test for me. it came out well over the stated diameter and the 20lb version was breaking at 13lb and that wasn't even at the knot.

Also it wants to coil off the spool itself so it was constantly nesting up on me.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby TomB » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:14 pm

Yep!! There's a lot of over hyped crap out there , just waiting to rip off the poor unsuspecting :cry:
TomB
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Postby Steve H » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:36 pm

Thanx for the replies lads,
After taking your advice and that of other forums, I've decided to stay clear (no pun intended) of the stuff. I've just heard too many horror stories from people and many contradictions between "best" brands. It seems that it is unable to take a shock load which worries me greatly. Anyway looks like I'll be sticking to good old Merlin braid for now.
Thanx again,
Steve H.
Steve H
Eel
Eel

Postby TomB » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Wise decision. If you want to go down the "stealthy route" just use a reliable mono hooklink to blend with the surroundings.
TomB
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Postby suffolkboy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:54 am

took the words out of my mouth mate, iv liked maxima before as a hooklink.

i have used flurocarbons as hooklinks this year and have had carp upto 29lb on it, i think it even survived a trip through some lillies too.

use what you are confident in using, i use ESP sink link (braid) for the majority of my fishing now as i like the diameter and the colour, i have had no problems with it (so far) and have landed carp upto 31lb on it. so if you are looking for alternatives to merlin give that a try.
leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.
suffolkboy
Pike
Pike

Postby rangemaster » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:11 pm

i used the korda IQ 10lb for my 21lb2oz from bovvy,it seems pretty good,but then i may have got a good batch of it as i have heard alot of bad things about flourocarbons.Memor-x is good its like a flourocarbon but its a monofilament,used it at prestons had fish to 21lb on that as well :D
I joined the darkside and i wont ever look back
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Return to Questions