The lake at the old landfill site in Stanway

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

The lake at the old landfill site in Stanway

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:56 pm

Hi peeps. Easing myself back into CAPS & fishing related stuff in general after taking time out to help out with the responsibility of raising our boy now aged 18 mths and our daughter aged 3 mths. Not had the energy to fish, let alone the time! Been told by the powers that be that I will be doing more fishing going forward though....

I live on the new Lakelands estate behind Tollgate in Stanway. Since living there (from 2000), I've fished (well poached) the lake which the estate is built around. Its absolutely chocca with little pasties who just love taking a piece of freelined flake off the top in the sun - even during the winter. I've taken up to approx 25 fish an hour from 1-9lb during some long evenings. Great stuff.

Anyway; my question is, can anybody give me anything on the history of the place? I understand it may have been run by Paxmans in the past but thats all I know. And if anyone can give me some info on who owns it now (and who I can speak to re fishing it going forwards), that would be a nice little bonus.

Cheers peeps.
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby webmaster » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:02 pm

I know that Colchester Police have a water over that way somewhere and if thats the on you are very brave...........
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TomB » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:25 pm

It was run by Paxmans, I can't remember what they called it though. When the building started, they moved all the fish (supposedly) to another of their waters.
TomB
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:49 pm

it must have been netted by the same crew that did Houchins
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Hooperboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:35 pm

It was called colliers pit and had a similar stamp of fish in to what it has now although the lake has been partly filled since paxmans ran it. I believe it is still owned by the developers.... could be wrong?
Come on the Carp!!!
Hooperboy
Chub
Chub

Postby kicker91 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:47 pm

the police water is over at the tarmac pit near the zoo.
kicker91
Worm
Worm

Postby Moth » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:07 pm

I pass a few of there lakes on my travels and have only seen one person fishing them and thats the one at mersea, What a waste :roll:
Moth
Catfish
Catfish

Postby specimenhunter » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:09 pm

police + fishing lakes :cry:

moth next time push em in lol
if a woman says "you love fishing more than me" .............. just AGREE!

Disclaimer

Not trying to argue just VOICING MY OPINION, no offence meant and was not trying to be malicious in anyway!
specimenhunter
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Big_Al » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:18 pm

Moth wrote:I pass a few of there lakes on my travels and have only seen one person fishing them and thats the one at mersea, What a waste :roll:

Always empty whenever I go and fish there! :D
Big_Al
Bream
Bream

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 am

Wheres David Davies then when you need him eh? The man who knows all there is to know about every puddle in and around Colchester! I would have thought that he would have some info! DD?

But thanks chaps - pretty much what I knew anyway. And no its not the police pit.
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby Dave Davies » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:58 pm

There used to be two Paxmans waters at Colliers. What's left there now is the tidied version of one of them. They were run by Paxmans, who did indeed remove plenty of fish to their other waters, but although the water was pumped down, lots of reedy puddles remained which obviously held plenty of fish.

I believe that the site was developed by Regent Estates, a division of Killoughery, an Irish construction company. In all probability, they still own the land on which the lake stands, but I imagine that, in the fulness of time, it might be something that will fall under the control of the district or parish council.

That's all I know.
Dave Davies
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Acorns Limps Again » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:13 am

Well Done, that man.....

You can always rely on DD for that insider information....

S
Take only Memories, Leave only Foot Prints
Acorns Limps Again
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Return to Questions