starting of a new angler - Where?

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

starting of a new angler - Where?

Postby leeboy » Tue May 01, 2007 9:33 am

My son is desparate to start fishing. As tempting as it is to just take him to Layer and use him as an excuse to spend more time after carp I think its important he has a proper fishing education which all of us older anglers will remember as sitting on a lake somewhere pulling out 2 inch long roach and perch and getting in endless tangles! Has CAPS got any lakes where this is available.
I've brought him a small pole (don't want to start explaining casting quite yet), so is their somewhere I can take him where you fish fairly close to the bank as well.
leeboy
Rudd
Rudd

Postby Dave B » Tue May 01, 2007 11:53 am

I would have thought Oliver's your best bet mate :D
A worm on one end and a fool on the other. Probably in the rain, possibly inebriated and invariably fish-less.
Dave B
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dave whittaker » Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 pm

rockinghams or joyces chase would do
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby pit man » Tue May 01, 2007 2:51 pm

just a idea ..."brookhall" in tolesunt knights day ticket . a great place for beginingers!!
pit man
Catfish
Catfish

Postby THE CATFISH KING » Tue May 01, 2007 3:13 pm

rockinghams farm or bov 1
THE ELITE DUMBELL RIGS!!!!
THE CATFISH KING
Catfish
Catfish

Postby magik » Tue May 01, 2007 4:36 pm

rockinghams or an old caps venue great notely country park (which I belive is still a free water)
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ Big or small, look after them all! ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
magik
Eel
Eel

Postby Dan Jarman » Wed May 02, 2007 6:49 am

I think you should start him off on the river colne. As you have said in your email, you want a proper fishing education and the COlne is perfect for it. With the pole you can start off on the shallow bits smashing through the small fry but move onto the chub which are not to hard to catch and for a smalll lad would be a monster.
Dan Jarman
Chub
Chub

Postby leeboy » Wed May 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Cheers Gents,
I'll probably start off with Rockinghams, mainly because it looks like theres no trees around it and I can remember some over eager strikes when I first went with my grandad many years ago.

Dan,
Your comment about the Colne sounds like a good idea as well. Once I've got him used to some basics and he's confident handling fish I'll give that a go. Where is a good place to start.
leeboy
Rudd
Rudd

Postby Dan Jarman » Thu May 03, 2007 8:32 am

The stretch opposite St Helena School offers a number of different types of fishing situation. For a beginner, if it is warm, you could start on the footbridge half way along the avenue of rememberance. It is a shallow run so you can often see the fish, which is always good for a newby.
Further downstream there are deeper spots for your more standard float fishing antics but the best spot i believe is upstream from the footbridge where chub can (or at least could) be caught on simple tackle, relatively easily.
Walk up the river, across the first field, and you will see a number of chubby looking runs. Give these a go, but carry on walking to the other side of the field and just on the other side of the fence there is a shapr bend in the river, and about thirty yards upstream from the bend a perfect deep hole where numerous chub could be caught on little more than a hook and a bit of cheese.
Have a look at the satallite pics on flashearth and it is clear the bit i mean. Good luck.
Dan Jarman
Chub
Chub

Return to Questions