spodding

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

spodding

Postby m1ke » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:10 pm

Hi guys,going to prestons in a couple of weeks for a 48 hour and will try spodding for the 1st time,is there a unwritten rule or general courtesy that you only spod when it is quiet in the area you are fishing or is it i kind of free for all,the reason i ask is that in previous times on lakes {not caps lakes}guys get real pissed off if another is spodding regardless of which area he is in.Cheers
m1ke
Minnow

Postby dave whittaker » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:16 am

dont think so but you never know :roll:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:36 am

I'm of the opinion and belief that whatever you do within 'your' piece of water in front of your swim is your business and nobody elses when it comes to fishing styles and practices - providing no rules are broken and you do not infringe upon anyone elses fishing area. Spodding is now an acceptable practice within carp fishing and has been for some time. There are many anglers - some highly respected anglers too - who believe that spods are 'carp scarers'. That is their opinion and they are fully entitled to it. You shouldn't choose not to do something because somebody else doesn't like it whatsoever. If you were to alter your own fishing style and game plan to suit those fishing around you where would that end? I would not have had nearly as many carp as I have had if I did that. You should see the faces of those around me when they hear the spash of a large heavy method ball hitting the water. The head shaking and tuts usually followed! But those same heads were the ones looking across when I was leaning into fish and they weren't. They were the same people I would ask to take my photos as well. No wonder some of them came out with my head missing....

So go for it. So long as you're no being selfish in that you're spodding over their bait or swims it all good. Accurate spodding can be a killer - and in a good way!

In fact, over Layer spodding is compulsory. If you don't spod at least 3 kilos of bait in any 4 hour period, you will be asked to leave. Well thats what it seems like anyway.... :lol:
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby dave whittaker » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:35 am

no widey i think you will find its 10kilo :lol:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:49 am

an hour.......
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Neil J » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:07 am

Per rod.... :P
Man who sinks into woman's arms soon has arms in woman's sink.
Neil J
Chub
Chub

Postby madaboutsilurus » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:21 am

i think that there is a dimension to consider though which is the time of day that you do this. if you turn up in the early morning when the carp and cats are still more active and steam in with a spod i think that could be considered not cricket. Also if someone has got their baits out and taken all the trouble to use a stealth approach and may be on to fish then it is considered to be irresponsible just turning up and piling it in with a big spod.

Ettiquette would be that you wait until the peak periods have died down a bit and dont keep spodding if you are not getting fish.

But these are not rules they are the sort of things i do when considering other peoples enjoyment as they are definately fish scarers at this time of year. the summer is a different story though.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dave whittaker » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:14 pm

not on layer its like a dinner bell :D
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Big_Al » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:28 pm

How nice to see somebody taking time out to consider others already fishing.
Big_Al
Bream
Bream

Postby Gormer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:33 pm

i agree with widey in ur swim go for it if thats what u want to do, but there is no harm in talking to whoever is next to u if the swims are close together i too have only just started to use a spod and to be honest am pretty crap at it so i tend to get it out when the water is quiet, not because of pissing off others just don't want to give everyone else on the lake a laugh by watching my feeble attempts :lol:

One thing that does piss me off tho is blokes with dirty great methods spashing about and then having the cheek to ask if i could take some photos for em lol j/k
Im back for 07 lol
Gormer
Carp
Carp

Postby Dave B » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:12 pm

:lol: Inspired Gormer 8).

One thing worth mentioning is the different size spods available. A little 'pocket rocket' can land with a gentle splash and won't nark anyone off.

Quite the opposite of my bucket spod, which lands like Peter Kay (Top Bombing!) :D.

Spodding etiquette is the same as all other angling etiquette. Do unto others.......
A worm on one end and a fool on the other. Probably in the rain, possibly inebriated and invariably fish-less.
Dave B
Catfish
Catfish

Postby madaboutsilurus » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:16 pm

with a little practice it is possible to get the angle of trajectory spot on so that it does minimise the disturbence even with a big spod.

however, my favourite toy is a benny blaster which is a graoundbait cup from a catapult on some proper cord that withstands the force. Mine is home made but you can buy em i have been able to get a ground bait ball about 6inches in diameter across both lakes at houchins when the boredom set in. now this is great fun, very accurate when paracticed of course but there is no way of quieting it down.

it is ruthless but really the same rules apply, it is not about offending the anglers it is about not scaring the blooming fish.

if it has been established on a lake so that it is like a dinner bell then the other anglers would have been de-sensatiszed as well.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby m1ke » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:17 pm

Cheers for all the replies lads,i think common sense is what should be considered when at a lake and as said some consideration to others.By the way if you do see a soppy git casting every where but at his marker float that will be me :lol:
m1ke
Minnow

Postby dave whittaker » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:07 am

madabout my mate can lob a scotch egg miles :shock: with one of those
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Fcuked Off » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:24 am

Anything wrong with the 'old fashioned' catapult?, or is it just not up to the job anymore.

OK I can see why there is a need to spod particles, but having a 'benny blaster' to fire a ball of groundbait out :shock:
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Holyjo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:11 am

Having seen the benny blaster first hand it is a great bit of kit if you are fishing at 100 yards on a 15 acre lake. Like most things there is a time and a place .

The pocket rocket is brilliant for hemp and redband but I still would only use during the quiet spell of an afternoon and would get the ache if someone fishing close to me was wacking out loads during premium catch time
Holyjo
Carp
Carp

Postby dave whittaker » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:42 am

if you have fish feeding you have to keep bait going in to hold them,i am sure kev will agree with me on this, the best thing to do is put a marker out cast your spod out clip up to get the distance when you cast hold the rod up and as it hits the clip drop the rod forward lands like a high diver ,it will take time but it works even with the xxl gardner i use, very little splash 8)
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Fcuked Off » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 am

Very correct Dave,

I was waiting for somebody to state this point.

If you wish your cast to hit the water softly then feather the line just before the rig etc. hits the water, this will eliminate a lot of force and make the cast land softer.

When clipped up keep your rod pointing at about 1 o'clock and let the rod take the force of the cast when the spod hits the clip. When the clip has been reached lower your rod to about 10 o'clock, this will make it land softer. Rather than just allowing the spod to crash into the water try this it does work.

It may take a bit of practice, but then again doesn't every aspect of casting.

It also meand that you will have a tighter line to your rig sinking the line faster.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby dave whittaker » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:17 am

blimey kev you sound like a carp angler :lol: ,are there any in hanningfield :?: as i know they are in abberton
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Fcuked Off » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:29 am

Not that I know of Dave, but then again it is not possible to coarse fish Hanningfield :twisted: .

There certainly are some whoppers in Abberton, and not just carp!!!!
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby dave whittaker » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:27 pm

all depends what bit of fence you hop over kev :wink: joking of course 8)
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

spooding

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:07 pm

if u want too get some bait out spod spod away . as long as its in your swim dont think it matters. :wink:

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 pm

unless you are fishing next to me and just scared off the fish that i have got going there is nothing to worry about.

i don't think you need a marker rod all the time though as that is just extra disturbence.

if you find a feature and mark up then cast to it, you can then clip up the spod rod.. if you then line up the spod on the horizon you can cast the spod, and use that as your marker for casting the hook bait to.
mind you on most of our waters a catapult would suffice, not as much fun and can only go a third of the distance.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Return to Questions