clarification about snake pit please guys

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

clarification about snake pit please guys

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:22 am

hi guys a posting on another thread has sparked an interest about stocking levels of cats at snake pit and any potential stocking of them.

also can people shed light on what is the exact criteria to up grade to snake pit, mopney is one and do you need to do work parties as well.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Dave Davies » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:28 am

It's reckoned there are 6 or 7 catfish in Snake, which is 12 acres. Could be a challenge! Best fish will be over 30lbs. They were stocked some years ago by some people from the previous club.

If you've read the discussions on snags in Houchins, you'll appreciate that anyone hooking a catfish in Snake could be in trouble. There are big areas of trees in there (it was an orchard many years ago). Fish anywhere near them and lost catfish are guaranteed. There are also many pike, restricting bait choice.

There is no upgrade for Snake, that only applies to Layer Pit.
Dave Davies
Catfish
Catfish

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:10 pm

cheers for the feedback Dave. Whilst i appreciate the issues with snags i have this sence of invincibility left over from my youth and i would love to see a slightly increased stocking of cats. What do you reckon the chances of it happening are.

I might be able to procure some through the CCG, do you reckon that we could turn snake pit into a cat sanctury for any that are in need of relocation from the EA.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Fcuked Off » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:48 pm

I can't promise anything Madabout but I will put it before the committe at the next meeting.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:33 pm

if you did Kev i would be more than happy to get a team to gether top do something about the snags. particularly as snake pit is the only place we can legally stock the cats. i think 20 or 30 should do the trick.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby The Laird » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:06 pm

Dave Davies wrote:If you've read the discussions on snags in Houchins, you'll appreciate that anyone hooking a catfish in Snake could be in trouble. There are big areas of trees in there (it was an orchard many years ago). Fish anywhere near them and lost catfish are guaranteed.

Kim wrote:A difficult specimen water which has now grown itself another Big Fish, as such do not risk this by more stocks. All fish in this lake are the property of the landowner and the society is contractually obliged to maintain and protect the fish stocks, If there was another fish kill on this water the society would be liable to pay many thousands of pounds to get it back up its current level.

The previous club who controlled the water stocked some cats which were blamed for the death of the original Snake Pit Forty, it wouldnt go down very well if we did the same and killed the latest big common.
Cheers

Laird Kim of Lochaber

Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)
Shop hours 9am-5pm - Closed All Day Wednesday & Sunday
The Laird
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Location: Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)

Postby TomB » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:54 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know Cat fishing is growing in popularity, but I don't think it is worth the risk of destroying a piece of carp fishing history for the sake of a few cats.

The snags are horendous in Snake, their removal would be way beyond the scope of mere mortals.

I think (hope) its a non-starter.
TomB
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Postby rangemaster » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:29 pm

maybe removing the snake catfish and putting them in houchins would be a better idea,snake is a carp water.
I joined the darkside and i wont ever look back
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Postby dave whittaker » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:50 pm

well said sam ,the locals wont like snake messed with :!:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Dave Davies » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:20 pm

For those who haven't seen Snake Pit, you should be aware that the main snags are about the size of one of the reservoirs at Houchins.

To be blunt, it's about the worst possible water for catfish that you could imagine. Not only do you have the snags to contend with, but many years sees wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling weed. And please, catfish and pike in the same water are a terrible mix.

I'm sure other opportunities will present themselves in the future, let's not make decisions out of desperation.
Dave Davies
Catfish
Catfish

new waters

Postby dave » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:27 pm

any news on a new water? i feel the club should find a lake where i can actually catch :oops:
http://www.roughtempo.com/live.html tuesday nite 6 - 8 doughboy dnb show and me 10pm till 12pm sunday night
dave
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:23 pm

Madabout; you used to be a carper didn't you? If so, read up on the history of Snake. I for one would hate to see it ruined and the CAPS name be sullied in the carp world like the previous incumbents responsible for the fish stocks. The story of the demise of the Snake Pit Common and its fellow residents is really quite sad.

We also have to consider that amongst the natural snags we also have the 'unnatural' snags. By that I mean the debris like shopping trollies etc that may have been dumped in the lake over the years by the residents of the local young persons 'residential home'. These are the same residents who aren't adverse to lobbing the occasional heavy object at you whilst you're trying to fish at 3am. Thankfully this doesn't happen as often as it did in the past.
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby madaboutsilurus » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:42 am

whilst i now have a better understanding of the make up of snake pit and support some of the observations about fish stock don't be so threatened at me voicing an idea.

with the feedback about the trees i wouldn't want to jeapordise the welfare of the decent carp or the cats but i am intreagued as to how the cats were responsible for the death of the big forty.

I have heard rumours of some cats being nailed to the gate at snake pit so i feel we have got to do something about the ignorance of these stupid carpers before they find themselves pop rivetted to the portaloo at houchins.

If these rumours were true did the club replace these cats as the posting from Kims suggests that we are obliged to.

sub note for widey. "incumbents" a lovely word but please don't use words like this to often as i had a nightmare trying to find my dic tionary.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dave whittaker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:37 am

from my understanding they came with a nice little disease which put paid to most of the stock as was :cry:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby The Laird » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:44 am

When the cats were stocked it the carp secumbed to an infection that the cats were obviously imune to. Some of the cats were killed by anglers irrate at the death of the forty. After a while numerous carp were added to the fish stocks including Dippy.
I personally negotiated the lease as the owner is a friend of the family so I can categorically state that the we are obliged to maintain the fish stocks (which all belong to the landowner), hence the introduction of four health certified 20lb+ Simmo carp following Dippys death.
Cheers

Laird Kim of Lochaber

The Laird
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:53 pm

were the cats not checked for the relevant diseases then.

How many of these 6 cats that i was being informed about are still in these 12 acres then.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby colin the carper » Tue May 10, 2005 11:16 am

i live right next to the snake pit and have a look evey day and fish it to but i dont think catfish r anything to do with dippys death (rip) i think it was all the carpers . i aint saying its their falt but dippy got caght around nearly every week. i have no prob with carpers witch i am 1 . but the amount of carpers down their was unblevebel their was nearly like evrey swim taken up and god nows how mutch bait went in but it soon went down when dippy went. now your lucky to get 1 at a weekend thier still catchable but not easy last last month the common came out 2 time witch is shocking nice size 2. a cat did get pulled out at 22lb at the point and belive their is plenty moor in thier to but i dont think the cats have nothing to do whith the carps wealth althogh i dont think you should stock up to high i they do because u ave to think about the tench and outher fish. if u go and have a look on a nice suynny day down the snags (no fishing from up their)u can see loads of fish their but thats the trouble they stay there quit a bit of time but they do come out togh . i think stock of carp wont go a miss althogh i do like cat fish. but like people say it is a carp warter and a nice and ard 1 at that. like i said i go down thire every day and erd nothing abous cats hamerd to gates or nothing. but ait calling u liers. thire is a few snags but if u now how to play a fish and be senceable should be alright and their is plenty ofweed but a few gravel bars aswell. what i mean by be sencable dont fish right next to snags if u aint convedent . colin the carper
colin the carper

Postby Acorns » Tue May 10, 2005 11:28 am

Well Said Fella....

There's a lot to be said for common sense....

Steve
Acorns

Postby Dave B » Tue May 10, 2005 11:31 am

Colin, I don't think anybody's blaming catfish for the death of Dippy.

The stocking of catfish (by a previous club) was blamed for bringing the disease that caused the fish kill some years ago which claimed the original 'Snake Pit Common' amongst others.
A worm on one end and a fool on the other. Probably in the rain, possibly inebriated and invariably fish-less.
Dave B
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 11:50 am

Having red Colins post free times, I fink that there could be a bit of DD or even KC in thier. Maybe, maybe not, but the meening and in tent cum threw anyway.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 12:10 pm

what does dd and kc
dave what other comon mate

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 12:12 pm

If Colin is real :?: :?: , then sorry, but I suspect that Dave Davies ( DD ) or Kim / webmaster ( KC ) may have had a hand in the post.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 12:40 pm

ok

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 12:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:ok
who r they any way

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Tue May 10, 2005 12:45 pm

Possibly - and I see how you have arrived at that conclusion Kevan. I'm finding myself looking more in KC's direction. The bit about 'a stock of carp wouldn't go amiss' (can't bring myself to even <quote> the grammar and spelling) is there to obviously throw us off the scent a bit. As is the spelling - which is just too shudderingly bad and just appears intentional. Nice try chaps.

But I too apologise if Colin the Carper is indeed real. It would be too late to say no offence fella I guess.... :lol:
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 1:13 pm

i am real mate i aint like i am fake or some thing is it lol no offence taken mate but is my spelling that crap :D i aint a narstey guy

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 1:19 pm

OK Colin, nice to meet you and errr yes :oops: nice guy the spelling was a bit out :cry: :cry:
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 1:25 pm

hi sorry if wasted your time mates

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Tue May 10, 2005 1:28 pm

Hey Colin,

No worries mate - i guess the spelling is no worse than others on here! Are you a member? You must be if you fish Snake. If so join the forum. Its easier to see who you are rather than Guest!

Sorry again dude.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 1:30 pm

Nope, didn't waste any time at all, it was a good post and all the meaning that it meant to show came through. It is nice to see somebody airing their views about a fishery.

Carry on reading and posting, the more input from members about the club etc. can only make it a better one.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 1:39 pm

no probs .yes i am a member mate but cant get to my licence for the number and all that but will do soon do u fish snake pit :D

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Tue May 10, 2005 2:07 pm

Only done it twice - its a diffwent gwavy to the other CAPS waters. Its the sorta place that you need to put in the hours and I don't often get to take lengthy sessions sadly. Its one of those places that I would love to get to know a lot better though.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby The Laird » Tue May 10, 2005 7:03 pm

Hey folks, I can assure you that I am not involved in this topic at all, I am also pretty sure that Dave is not either. I have been known to be a bit ptovocative at times but I would struggle to come up with that one.
Cheers

Laird Kim of Lochaber

The Laird
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Dave Davies » Tue May 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Go tether a bream, Kevan!
Dave Davies
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Fcuked Off » Wed May 11, 2005 8:41 am

Ooops :oops: sorry guys.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed May 11, 2005 8:50 pm

whats this about tethering bream and si colin taking the mikkie out of my typing.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby colinthecarper » Thu May 12, 2005 3:31 pm

fished snake pit yesterday no carp lol but had a 6 lb tench my dad had a 9lb 1 so any tench fishermen/women get down the snake pit. carp r still in the snags but have to come out some time lol good luck. :D :D :D :D :D :D
colinthecarper

Return to Questions