French Fish!!

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

French Fish!!

Postby Hooperboy » Tue May 10, 2005 10:57 am

Have CAPS ever thought about purchasing a French Lake for the club? I am sure a lot can be taken from having a managed lake in France and I am sure a lot of Members would like the opportunity of catching the Garlic Munching Monsters in their rightful land?

Feel free to hurl abuse! Just a thought?
Come on the Carp!!!
Hooperboy
Chub
Chub

Postby JoeB » Tue May 10, 2005 11:08 am

For the money it cost, I for one would rather it be spend on lakes all members would be able to enjoy.

Don't we already get discounts for Keyhole?
JoeB
Dace
Dace

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 12:07 pm

Correct JoeB, the club does have money to spend, but finding a lake suitable to all types of members AND in the Essex area is a priority.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby SamB » Tue May 10, 2005 1:10 pm

I don' think everyones finances would be able to cover a trip to france.
Nice idea though. I would rather have the club purchase a really nice lake around our area. :wink:
25lb Prestons common, about time.
SamB
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Dave B » Tue May 10, 2005 1:31 pm

The more I think about it, the more appealing the idea is.

Why not have a club water in France? It could be leased the same as any other water and club members could pay discounted rates for their trips which would enable those on a tight budget to go to France who may not be able to afford the commercial waters.

It could also be ran so that non-members could book providing there was room and they would pay a nominal fee around the average cost of a trip like that.

The only difference would be the need to have an on-site bailiff, which wouldn't really be a problem to find would it?

Sounds like a great idea to me :D 8)
A worm on one end and a fool on the other. Probably in the rain, possibly inebriated and invariably fish-less.
Dave B
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 1:44 pm

If you guys think that this is a good idea then drop the secretary a line. You will need a proposer and seconder, if this is achieved then put together a proposal and it will be discussed at a committee meeting. Personally I doubt that it would get much air time, but you never know!!!!
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Tue May 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Now I LOVE this idea; and I believe it could work and would bring in more than enough revenue for the club.

However, we all know its an absolute non starter as it smacks totally of looking after one area of the membership only; and we're more than aware of how that would go down with the remainder!

I agree with Kevan in that the clubs priority must first and formost be to locate and secure local top quality waters that can be utilised for the whole membership. That said, the idea of a French water is a fantastic one. The CAPS name and reputation could be enhanced overnight I sure. Maybe the sweetener could be that CAPS have a match pool with lodges/cabins at every swim (because we all know that the matchmen get scared of the dark) next to the main carp pool. Facilities on a secure site also would be good.

I know the logistics behind such a grand scheme are pretty hefty, but wouldn't it be great?
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 1:56 pm

Cockney Wideboy wrote: Maybe the sweetener could be that CAPS have a match pool with lodges/cabins at every swim (because we all know that the matchmen get scared of the dark) next to the main carp pool

Thats only because the boogyman comes out after sunset and we are all scared of him :cry: :cry: .

:idea: Then again, wouldn't it be nice to have a big carp pit and a match pit next to each other in this country :?: :idea:
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Tue May 10, 2005 2:09 pm

I totally agree - and that must be the priority. Nice to have pipe dreams though!
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

French Fish!!

Postby Hooperboy » Tue May 10, 2005 2:10 pm

I have been scouting around on a load of sites trying to find a site within a 20 mile radius of Colchester that would suit all types of Angling and it seems these places are not only few and far between but also hotly contested when they are available.

With Essex being developed as quickly as it is do we think that the land will ever be available at the right price for that development! I agree that aiming one at one or two types of angler (Madabout!!! As catfish are abviously abundent in certain waters) is not best for the club, however, I have wandered around a few of the lakes and having read a majority of the posts on this forum it seems that maybe an 80% (Maybe more)majority of Carp/Catfish anglers.

I am sure that a site in France is going to have more freedom to develop a water to allow Match anglers to be taken into account and maybe target some monsters for themselves!

It is almost sure that has been mentioned this could also be offered up on a limited numbers scheme to non members!! For me I know that £500 for an organised trip is a lot of money, having a lake were I could go and only have to pay for flights would be fantastic. This doesn't mean CAPS would miss out as lets face it who doesn't like the idea of having there food prepard for £100 a week??

There are a lot of really successful managed fisheries in France and a lot of anglers who would like the opportunity to fish there!!! Take Nash Lakes for instance 10 anglers a week £500 a head with all gear provided! £5000 per week!! Surely CAPS would cover the cost of the fishery and then maybe be able to develop there sites here with the money made???

God I waffle sometimes!!
Come on the Carp!!!
Hooperboy
Chub
Chub

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 2:40 pm

You mean something like this :?:

French Lake
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

French Fish!!

Postby Hooperboy » Tue May 10, 2005 2:48 pm

Indeed I do, For the price of the water in comparison to what you can buy over here there is a big difference (also to note it was the match angler doing the investigation :lol: :lol: :lol: ) I know that the site you referred to there has a couple of lakes that are reasonably priced that would be good for developing!
Come on the Carp!!!
Hooperboy
Chub
Chub

Postby Fcuked Off » Tue May 10, 2005 2:56 pm

It wasn't really investigation, a few years ago I toyed with buying a lake in France to open a fishery and remembered this site. The prices seem to have come down a bit as well since I was looking.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

French Fish!!

Postby Hooperboy » Tue May 10, 2005 2:59 pm

There is another one on that site which is a two acre lake set in 5 acres with 2 mobile homes, one of which sleeps 6 Adults and 1 child, And a 1 bed cabin, Catfish to 56lbs, Carp to 56lbs and Sturgeon to 32lbs. Who needs Development when its already there??
Come on the Carp!!!
Hooperboy
Chub
Chub

Postby Tim H » Tue May 10, 2005 6:39 pm

HAve read this post with interest and sounds like a good money maker for the club, although who would administer it and how would it be run. Most French lakes are now commercial ventures.
I would take issue with hooperboys assertion that 80% of CAPS members are carp/catfish oriented is perhaps a little over the top. On Bovi 2 there is a 50/50 micx of carp/tench anglers.
Perhaps 80% of the people on here are carp anglers!
It's all about the fishing
Tim H
Bream
Bream

Postby rangemaster » Tue May 10, 2005 10:13 pm

a couple of problems such as how will we look after it and keep it safe from poachers?what happens when no one is there in winter? ect ect it just couldnt happen anless we have at least 2 baliffs who live there!
I joined the darkside and i wont ever look back
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Postby kev rev » Wed May 11, 2005 6:14 am

Well if it happens i dont mind moving out there!!! looking after it all :D
kev rev
Crucian
Crucian

Postby Dave B » Wed May 11, 2005 8:25 am

There are no problems, only solutions.

People tend to think that all French waters are Carp/Catfish only. This is only because of the trend of us carpers going after the bigger fish. There's absolutely nothing to stop a lake in France being stocked with other course fish or acquiring one with existing stock and adding. After all they match/course fish in France don't they? Two seperate lakes possibly the ideal.

We've established that a lake (or lakes) in France would cost the club the same or more likely less than the same in the UK.

The club would actually be getting the income generated rather than nothing extra if it takes on another UK water.

The club can easily then afford to employ people to administer and look after it.

During the time it is actually open to fish there could be a rota of existing and, perhaps some new club Bailiffs who would not pay for their trip provided they look after the place during their stay.

A local resident could then be employed to look after the place out of season and where there are gaps in the rota.

I could be persuaded to emigrate and take on the burden, say £30k p.a. to cover the expenses :wink:

Seriously though, we're only talking here but it's definately one for the back-burner. CAPS could pull it off, imagine that addition to the current portfolio....
A worm on one end and a fool on the other. Probably in the rain, possibly inebriated and invariably fish-less.
Dave B
Catfish
Catfish

Postby steve saville » Wed May 11, 2005 8:29 am

Wow - what a thread! Yesterday I was reading about Olivers, today about France! I for one would be up for a French lake, however, having just returned from a 4 day trip, you can do it more cheaply than 500 quid a week!

Me and a mate paid £ 290 for 3 nights in accomodation that can sleep up to 8, and that included the chunnel. The lake we fished costs 20 Euro's a week, and we caught a fair few - carp to 20lb, sturgeon to 7lb, loads of bream etc - and that was a slow few days. I have had bigger sturgeon there previously, and I was told that they grow to 33lb, and carp to 51lb. Great sport for not a lot of money, and its a 180 miles drive from Calais, so only a few hours away. I also went there last July and the sport was amazing - pretty much a decent fish every chuck, and thats for someone like me who is not at all prolific!

Just wanted to say that the idea is great, but if it does not happen, and you do fancy a trip over the pond, you can do it cheaply! pm me if you want more details of the place.

Cheers,

Steve
You'll never walk alone....
steve saville
Bream
Bream

Postby Dave Davies » Wed May 11, 2005 7:19 pm

Actually, I quite fancy some salmon fishing. Can we have a stretch of the River Spey as well?
Dave Davies
Catfish
Catfish

Postby Acorns » Wed May 11, 2005 7:47 pm

What for £60 a year......
Acorns

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Wed May 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Yes don't be silly David. Surely you know as well as I do, the club just isn't going to spend half a million for you to do a little fluff chucking now is it....

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby madaboutsilurus » Wed May 11, 2005 9:08 pm

i would concur with hooperboy's observation that 80% of forum users are cat and carp anglers i you take into account that it is dave, steve and Kevan that are not cat and carp anglers and every body else seems tobe. i do France regularly and definaely am interested by realistic priced big fish pursuing. i would never dream of 500 quid for a weeks fishing. i can see the makings of a syndicate lake here
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby steve saville » Thu May 12, 2005 8:03 am

Madabout, for me, a fish is a fish is a fish. Of course, a decent carp, tench or bream makes me very happy, however I regularly fish for bits as well as the bigger stuff (lack of success on the latter forces the former!!) :D
steve saville
Bream
Bream

Postby madaboutsilurus » Thu May 12, 2005 11:10 am

and for me a fish is something that has the potential to snap your rod in bits and when fighting it you gripe about your arm feeling like it is dropping off and so big that when you hold it you are still shaking as your body surges with adrenaline. but hey if you know of a bream or roach that does that for you each to their own. at 6'3" and gravitationally challenged i dont think the pics would do my ego any good. :wink:
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby steve saville » Thu May 12, 2005 12:27 pm

Being of a similar stature to your good self, I have to say that I too like a big un hanging off my rod (have never caught anything the size of good ol Goliath though!) but am too fidgety to sit for hours/days/weeks for a fish of that size, still, maybe once I catch one that will change eh?!
steve saville
Bream
Bream

Postby Fcuked Off » Thu May 12, 2005 12:41 pm

Pah!, you ought to see the bend that those 60-to-the-pound bleak put into my whip when they are 'aving it. AWSOME :D :D :D :D and it leaves me all of a quiver when I weight 5lb+ then think that I have just caught 400+ fish for that, think......I.......need........help.......quick.
Fcuked Off
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby steve saville » Thu May 12, 2005 12:43 pm

Kevan, I remember my previous fishing life, fishing the Thames in oxford in the winter - that was 15 years ago, and I had to do the same on a float rod rather than a whip - great fun, a bite a chuck...........and even the odd gudgeon as a bonus fish!!
steve saville
Bream
Bream

Postby Gormer » Thu May 12, 2005 3:13 pm

shall we start a whip round??

£1000 each

first 120 members

cheque's payable to Mr M Gormer

cheers :wink:
Im back for 07 lol
Gormer
Carp
Carp

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 4:27 pm

good idea but u will lose a hell of a lot of mebers but france i would say get a nice lake here and make it in to a specimen warter nice carp nice roach and stuff every 1 will love it but carpers wont if they dont like their alarm goin of in the nite with a nice bream on it but aint pushing caps to get 1 but i think it would be better but thats my opinion aint saying caps aint got no fish they have some lovely fish :D :D

Postby colinthecarper » Thu May 12, 2005 4:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:good idea but u will lose a hell of a lot of mebers but france i would say get a nice lake here and make it in to a specimen warter nice carp nice roach and stuff every 1 will love it but carpers wont if they dont like their alarm goin of in the nite with a nice bream on it but aint pushing caps to get 1 but i think it would be better but thats my opinion aint saying caps aint got no fish they have some lovely fish :D :D
colin the carper
colinthecarper

Return to Questions