PRS

General Questions, any member can post here.
NOTE : Please bear in mind that any posts made in this area can be viewd by non members.

Moderator: The Laird

PRS

Postby tolly » Mon May 23, 2005 12:37 pm

hi all i wam aware that i have read a post later on this year about how fish have now sense of feeling and was wondering if any one has any more information on this because i am doing it for my GCSE and was pleading for your help

my god im going to get a lot of stick because of this post.

also i was wondering if anyone could suggest any questions that i could include in a questionnaire

thanks once again tolly
minge potato
tolly
Pike
Pike

Postby Big_Al » Mon May 23, 2005 3:18 pm

How are the fish going to hold the pen to fill in the questionnaire???

Sorry, on a serious note good on you for being able to take the fishing aspect into school.
Big_Al
Bream
Bream

Postby dave whittaker » Mon May 23, 2005 3:24 pm

:oops: i did something like that for my cse and failed ,good luck tolly
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby Alan Goodrum » Mon May 23, 2005 4:03 pm

I think most of the research has been carried out on salmonid fish, so if you take a look at game fishing literature you should be able to find it, or possibly look up trout and salmon magazine for info. :roll: :)

Hope this helps
the north sea - a lovely big empty lake
Alan Goodrum
Crucian
Crucian

Postby Alan Goodrum » Mon May 23, 2005 4:11 pm

I just tried - fish feel pain - on Google - bit of info comes up.

Other place to look may be koi carp info. 8)
the north sea - a lovely big empty lake
Alan Goodrum
Crucian
Crucian

Postby Holyjo » Mon May 23, 2005 5:46 pm

Its fantastic that this is part of your curriculum options and I am sure most members of the forum are keen to hear about your learning

All the best

Whats the title of your thesis/essay

As regards questions. How about focussing on visible signs of fish distress after capture. I am always amazed how the fish I catch move back into the silent deep so calmy.

Not at all like a human under water coming out for breath
Holyjo
Carp
Carp

Postby webmaster » Mon May 23, 2005 6:39 pm

James Rose of the University of Wyoming has put forth a strong argument for the inability of fish to experience pain that relies on analogy between human and fish neuroanatomy. Rose emphasizes the distinction between reaction to injury and psychological experience of pain and emphasizes that the existence of the former does not evince the existence of the latter. Indeed, human experiments have proven that pain is experienced in the brain and that sensation of and reaction to noxious, or potentially harmful, stimuli can occur without the experience of pain. The concept of nociception makes this possible.

Nociception:

The term nociception refers to the detection of noxious stimuli by the nervous system. The peripheral nervous receptors we call nociceptors sense stimuli and report to the central nervous system where motor responses are initiated and the sensation of pain is perceived. Some fish species certainly do have nociceptive neurones analogous to those found in the human (see Neuro-physiology of Pain in Fish). However, this means only that these animals are capable of sensing noxious stimuli; it provides no evidence for the psychological experience of pain.

Pain Related Chemicals:

Teleost nervous systems also produce opiate-related compounds and proteins similar to the GABA/benzodiazepen receptors that play a role in the sensation of human pain. However, these compounds are not exclusively related to pain in humans and may play other roles in the physiology of fish. For greater evidence of the psychological experience of pain it seems appropriate to examine the brain.

The Brain:

According to Bermond (1997) the highly developed neocortex of the human cerebral hemispheres is responsible for our ability to experience emotions and sensations such as pain. The existence of this feature in the fish brain would strengthen an argument for the ability of fish to experience pain. However, the fish brain is dominated by brainstem components and features very primitive cerebral hemispheres that lack neocortex. Humans require this neocortex for basic sensory functions as it is thought to be responsible for interpreting the sensory information received and processed by our brainstem and spinal cord. In fish, a higher level of cortical sensory interpretation appears nonexistent, since fish behaviour is unaffected by cortical damage. For example, cortical damage in a human may cause blindness whereas the complete removal of a fish’s cerebral hemispheres causes no apparent change in sensory-dependant behaviour.

If we assume, as Rose and Bermond do, that the neocortex is necessary for pain sensation, then we must admit that sensation of pain in any animal lacking an analogous structure is unlikely. Fish would therefore lack the neurological capability to experience the negative psychological sensation of pain.
Regards

The Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shimano_addict » Mon May 23, 2005 6:54 pm

I think webmaster has done all the work FOR u tolly :lol:
Shimano_addict
Tench
Tench

Postby Ekins » Mon May 23, 2005 6:59 pm

yeah i agree you test thing should be easy now :lol:
Ekins
Barbel
Barbel

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Mon May 23, 2005 8:34 pm

And now children, its time for Word of the Day. Today's word is:

PLAGIARISM
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby tolly » Mon May 23, 2005 8:53 pm

cheers webmaster :lol: you are a ledgend this has helped a considerable amount towards my PRS and thanks to any one else that feels free to help with this
minge potato
tolly
Pike
Pike

Postby dave whittaker » Mon May 23, 2005 8:56 pm

tolly his a leg end :lol:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Mon May 23, 2005 8:58 pm

i don't have anything mre useful to add than Kim but that is not going to stop me. Dave whitticar implied that he did something similar when he was at school. What he actually meant was that he did a cave painting.

it would definately be worth contacting channel 4 if you want to be a real swat and tell them as par of your research you want to view reg hall and his fishing friends annadaptation of the research on fish feeling pain.

there is a distinct difference betwen experiencing and feeling pain and reg hell put this across very well.

i am greatly encouraged by the flexibity in the curriculum these days as all we could learn at school was the games teacher was a <font color=red><b>censored</b></font> (hopefully) kims device works and that for your drug use to be undetected do it openly as staff were monitoring the loo's.

good luck bloke i am sure tha you would do well but feel free to send your assignment to auntie Kim before gving it qas yoiur final assignment.
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dave whittaker » Mon May 23, 2005 9:02 pm

oi im not that bloody old shane :shock:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby webmaster » Mon May 23, 2005 9:09 pm

I cannot claim credit for my previous post I simply cut and pasted it from the web. Im not that clever I sell maggots remember.
Regards

The Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cockney Wideboy » Mon May 23, 2005 9:22 pm

Don't sell yourself short matey; you sell many different coloured maggots remember...
I may be the voice of reason. The wife is the voice of permission. N-Butyric acid; for the ultimate in stinkiness.

Wideboy
Cockney Wideboy
Carp
Carp

Postby rangemaster » Mon May 23, 2005 9:45 pm

Dave whitticar implied that he did something similar when he was at school. What he actually meant was that he did a cave painting

HAHAHAHHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that had me rolling around in stiches nice one shane!!

sorry dave and after all the help you have given me! :shock: :lol:
I joined the darkside and i wont ever look back
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Postby dave whittaker » Tue May 24, 2005 6:57 am

i will remember that sam :x
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby tolly » Tue May 24, 2005 7:30 am

can i ask what website you got this information from please cheers
minge potato
tolly
Pike
Pike

Postby rangemaster » Tue May 24, 2005 10:56 am

sorry dave :cry: you gotta admit though it was funny! :lol:
I joined the darkside and i wont ever look back
rangemaster
Bigmouth Billy Bass
Bigmouth Billy Bass

Postby dave whittaker » Tue May 24, 2005 11:07 am

yeah i know it was but it's whittaker not whitticar :shock:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Postby madaboutsilurus » Tue May 24, 2005 11:13 am

sorry dave but you can understand my mistake as you didn't seem to take my whit on many occasions. :wink:
one small step for man and one giant step for mankind, flange the ultimate in stinkiness.
madaboutsilurus
Catfish
Catfish

Postby dave whittaker » Tue May 24, 2005 11:14 am

now where is that choose to ignore button gone :lol:
www.carpy.co.uk
its the way forward
dave whittaker
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Return to Questions