Houchins Closed

Important Notices and messages will be posted here.

Moderator: The Laird

Houchins Closed

Postby The Laird » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:13 am

As of this afternoon, Tuesday 3rd October 2007, Houchins is closed to anglers until further notice.

Yesterday I received a call from the local EA Fisheries Officer, after a short discussion he offered to visit Houchins and take some Oxygen Readings.

He called me back an hour of so later and stated that the front pit had a reading of 84%. However, the back pit from the causeway had a reading of 34% and from the far bank it registered 26%. He stated that we had to get a pump on there immediately otherwise we would lose the fish stock.

We have secured I believe a week’s rental on a petrol driven pump and installed it them yesterday and the water has been closed to anglers until such time as there is a massive improvement in the Oxygen levels. The EA Fisheries Officer will be back on site this morning, to take further readings and if these are still low he will bring in some big EA pumps to try and control the decline in the Oxygen Levels.

When I asked the EA Officer what could be causing such a drastic difference between the two pits, he stated that the front pit was open however the back pit was tree lined, which acted as a wind break, and this plus leaf fall, high atmospheric pressure and a sustained high temperature (19 degrees) would start to break down the leaf mould in the water, which would burn up the Oxygen. He also asked which of the two pits was fished the heaviest and I told him the back pit, he then stated that all the additional bait breaks down over time so this would also be contributing to the problem.

So our initial and immediate concern is to get the Oxygen level up to somewhere near the front pit in oder for us to keep the fish stocks alive.

Steve Dormer
CAPS Hon Secretary
Last edited by The Laird on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Laird
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Location: Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)

Postby The Laird » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:05 pm

Ive just spoken to Steve Dormer and he has informed me that the oxygen level has increased by 6% which is a step in the right direction. However the levels are still low and it is anticipated that the water will remain closed for the next week. In order to increase the wind access to improve the oxygen transfer will mean the removal of some of the trees.
Cheers

Laird Kim of Lochaber

Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)
Shop hours 9am-5pm - Closed All Day Wednesday & Sunday
The Laird
Ex Committee Member
Ex Committee Member

Location: Angling Essentials, Witham. 0845 838 1566 (local rate)

Postby Acorns Limps Again » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Oxygen Levels are up to 40% which is less than half the front pit, but its going in the right direction, we now have two pumps on the water.

We have started to open up the water a bit more by taking out some of the trees to allow the air to flow better.

Unfortunately there have been several casualties

Regards

Steve.
Take only Memories, Leave only Foot Prints
Acorns Limps Again
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Postby Acorns Limps Again » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:14 pm

Guys,

As you know the back pit at Houchins has had a fish kill due to the Oxygen levels in the water dropping down to 26%.

Mark, Tom and I with the help of Mark Castle have done as much as we can over the last two days.

We have installed two pumps, (which need fuelling every 3 hours) and have cut down a fair bit of overhanging trees.

However, primarily due to prior commitments and that the Oxygen levels are now in the Mid Forty’s no more tree felling will take place tomorrow.

Mark will continue to cut back the tree line during the coming week so that we can open up the water.

Now we are looking for muscle next Sunday, to help clear the trees that Mark has cut during the week and there’s plenty to do.

So if you are available, or can put off painting the shed, we would appreciate your help.

Regards

Steve - Hon Secretary
Mark - Fisheries Officer
Tom - Society treasurer
Acorns Limps Again
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Postby Acorns Limps Again » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:10 pm

Guys,

We have just pulled the big pump off site after three weeks, at this time the oxygen levels are steady at a 100% but do fluctuate depending upon the weather.

There have been no more filsh kills for the last two weeks, but a significant amount of work is still required before we will be re-opening the water.

Steve
Acorns Limps Again
CAPS Committee Member
CAPS Committee Member

Return to Messages and Announcements