top lake

Please report your catches, posts etc here.

top lake

Postby andyebs » Tue May 25, 2010 7:30 pm

can anyone tell me what is in top lake and what stocks are like
andyebs
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: top lake

Postby Garfie » Wed May 26, 2010 2:36 pm

I've fished it a few times and its not stocked with a large number of fish.

There are several perch in there, mainly only up to half a pound, nothing massive, but make for a good bit of float fishing on a still day.

There are a few carp in there, mainly between 5 and 10lb and occasionally just into double figures and also a handful of bream 4 to 6lb but I'm talking literaly a handful, 5 to 10 at the most. Due to the depths being up to 26ft deep the carp that are in there are not easy to catch either, especially when up in the water this time of year.

The odd tench has also been out to about 5lb tops but these are really few and far between.

The long thin match lake offers better sport all round with a good head of carp, bream, tench, perch, roach and rudd all up to reasonable sizes. There were also a load more carp and tench stocked in there recently.

But if its mainly carp that you are after your best bet is the specimen lake to be honest as there are several 10-20lb fish in there and some pretty coy carp in their 20's too.
Garfie
Dace
Dace

Postby andyebs » Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 am

not really after one species just looking for good day float fishing with my little one
have fished match lake and had loads of nice little carp out just wonderd what was in top lake not lot of info on it
andyebs
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Postby Garfie » Thu May 27, 2010 12:25 pm

For float fishing you're better off sticking with the match lake to be honest. Unless you want to go for the perch in the top one.
Garfie
Dace
Dace

Return to Great Oakley Fisheries